Tuesday 1 September 2009

Twilight The Movie

After being engrossed in reading Twilight, I was excited to see the film adaptation and bought the dvd straight away.

Whilst I read the book I had seen posters pretty much everywhere for the film, so unfortunately I already had the main characters Bella and Edward, visually in my mind. Apart from my imagination not creating their profiles, before watching a film (like The Da Vinchi Code), if the director takes a different approach or style to what you envisaged, it automatically quickly becomes very disappointing. I have to say I was impressed. I think the surroundings, set and atmosphere where captured and portrayed really well and the actors were well chosen for each role.

My main frustration with the film, was how they had slightly rushed and compacted nearly all the chapters into less than half the running time. It just didn't feel well-balanced. I felt it missed out a lot of the detail and small but notable events from the book, which would have added to the depth and substance of the film. It also seemed to quite simply focus on Bella and Edward and made the other sub-characters (eg Mike) play much smaller, less memberable roles.

Kristin Stewart (who plays Bella) and Robert Pattison (who plays Edward), I think made a great pair, which were both beautiful and mesmerising to watch on screen. The misunderstood teenagers brilliantly create high sexual tension, which you can almost feel through the screen. A definite highlight of the film was watching the gorgeously handsome Pattison, playing Edward. In the book more time is spent detailing their blossoming romance and how they both have to come to terms with the dangers that come with their relationship. This again is a detail which is too quickly surpassed in my opinion.

Apart from the details mentioned above, there were not any other major key elements missing and the film was both action-packed and enjoyable, but nowhere near as believable. It was low budget, so i think the slightly questionable special effects were due to this. I really look forward to the sequel, which I am currently reading to come out on the big screen! Im pretty sure though, the films will never beat reading the books!



No comments:

Post a Comment